Monday, March 7, 2011

A Psalm


So on my phone, I have this app that gives me a different bible verse to read every day. I like it, because quite frankly it’s pretty convenient to open my phone and get to that app with the verse right there. Sometimes they really touch me and some days its just nice to read the Word. Today I got a really awesome verse. It was a Psalm, so of course it was awesome because who doesn’t love the Psalms… That book is kind of like a cure-all, and certainly knows how to give a person hope and comfort. If you have never opened it, I highly recommend it. They really are beautiful. Anyways, I read Psalm 139:1-8 which reads:

“You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.”

It’s astounding when you think about it. Who are we to be so sought out and loved so dearly by a God so great? He knows us so much better than we know ourselves; he knows the things we are going to say before the thought even crosses our minds. Not only that, but he knows the details that don’t matter to anyone else- when we sit and when we rise. He cares enough about us to be familiar with our ways- our habits, the way we do our hair, how we like our food cooked, what makes us tick, what makes us incandescently happy. We can’t hide from Him. When we are in the highest of highs, he is there. The opposite end of the spectrum is something I think a lot of us have a difficult time believing- that in the darkest of times, in the lowest of lows, He is there, even when we don’t feel Him, he is always there.

How fortunate we are, how extremely blessed we are to have such an incredible God that wants to care for us and know us this intimately. Does He have to care for us the way He does? I don’t think so… But I do know that he cares for us the way he does because he loves us in a way that nobody else can and will provide more than a temporary happiness. A lot of worldly things can bring us joy or comfort enough to forget any kind of pain… but its all temporary. Wouldn’t you rather a love that lasts longer than a temporary “high?” I know I would, and I give thanks that I do have that love. Not because I deserve it, but because I seek and I find it in my God. So can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment