Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Just For A Season.


Have you ever found a really good friend in a time of need? Have you ever lost that friend after a short amount of time? Have you ever broken up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, or been broken up with? I know I have experienced a handful of experiences like that. Its one of the most difficult parts of life, losing someone you love. Maybe its because things just didn’t work out, maybe that person passed away or maybe the friendship just slowly faded out. Lets not sugar coat this one: losing someone you care about absolutely sucks. I have found that it usually sucks the most when you lose someone that you really care about, someone who meant a whole lot to you, someone who had an impact in your life because most often, these people are the ones you really cant forget.
Unfortunately, this is just a part of life, and I believe that most of the time, God brings people in and out of our lives to serve a specific purpose. Last year, my freshman year of college, I was in a completely new place, I barely knew anyone. I commuted so it was a lot more difficult for me to connect with people and meet new friends. I was taking a psychology class with a crazy professor, and there was someone in that class that I befriended, and found that he was in a couple other classes of mine as well. I found that I really was able to connect with him, we were similar in a lot of ways and it was so nice to have someone around that I could talk to or goof off with. I went through a lot my freshman year, and when nobody else was there he was right by my side and listened to me vent, saw me cry and learned a lot about me that not a lot of people know. He helped me through some hard times and was a genuine friend. Towards the end of the year, stuff happened and we kind of fell apart. I was confused and bitter and I honestly felt robbed. He had a big piece of my life, as he knew a whole lot about me, and now we weren’t even talking. I felt ignored and betrayed. Things were eventually slightly resolved, and I got over being bitter. I am able to see in hindsight that yes, he was someone that I really cared about, but he was placed in my life to serve a season. He taught me a whole lot. He helped me through things when I needed a friend and he was part of the reason for some positive changes I made in my life. I’d like to think that I was able to show him and teach him some things too, but maybe ill never know that. I’m not bitter anymore; in fact if he called today for a favor or to see how I was, I would be pleasantly surprised. But I learned through our friendship that some people are there just for a season.
When someone walks out of your life, know its not always for no reason. Know that you don’t have to stay bitter at them, in fact its unhealthy and sinful to stay bitter at someone. If they did you wrong, forgive them and let go. If someone walks out of your life, its also okay to let them back in but its important to realize that this person may not ever come back. They served their purpose and you can find peace in the fact that there is a rhyme and a reason for everything, in every season.



 “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.”
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment