Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thoughts.

I cant believe semester two has begun. I’m finally moved back in, settled and classes are in full gear. Even though yesterday was our first day of classes, my only class was yoga. It was a real rough day... Ha. Today was my first “real” day of classes and I’m actually pretty psyched. My schedule certainly isn’t going to be easy, but I have some pretty awesome teachers so far, and that makes all the difference in the world.
Today I was thinking about relationships. Relationships between friends, family, significant others, roommates, class mates, I could go on and on and on... Our lives are chalk full of relationships! If you think about it, relationships are so vital to our lives. According to Maslow, a famous psychologist for those who aren’t familiar with the name, love and belonging through relationships are a basic human need. Im honestly not really sure where im going with this… but isn’t that a crazy thought? I think about my life without relationships in it… it would be so empty, I would be miserable! I do consider myself a social person, but even for someone who isn't social, relationships are still so important. I rely on my relationships with others for so many things. I rely on my parents to be there for support (both moral and financial!) and guidance and love. I rely on my friends to be there for me, to talk to and to listen, for good company, a laugh or a good time. I rely on church and faith group to help me to grow in my faith and help me to continue to walk on the right path, worshipping, and just times of fellowship together. 

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. Hebrews 3:13

How encouraging it is to have a solid friend or companion by your side, to guide you in your walk with Christ and in other things! I have a hard time finding time and motivation to go to the gym on a routine basis. My good friend Charissa and I became gym buddies, and we encourage one another to get our butts out the door and even at the gym we push each other and get an awesome work out. Without her encouragement I don’t know if Id make it to the gym as much as I do!
Another example of this in my life is something my boyfriend and I just began doing- daily devotionals. We use one online, and on our own time we read it and try to talk about it later in the day. This is something that keeps me on track. Not only does he hold me accountable, but I want to continue to grow with him in Christ and spend my own time with God. Being so far away from each other, this is a really awesome way to do it.
"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind." Phillipians 2:1-2
We are wired to work and be with other people, to have relationships with one another, both in communities and with each other. Ill leave you with this verse, as it describes how everyone has a place and a function, and cant live just on their own.
"If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be." 1 Corinthians 12:17-18
Random thoughts turned into a long blog, hope you enjoyed!


No comments:

Post a Comment