Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sleeping In


Today is the first day in months that I have been able to sleep in. It was incredible. I slept until almost 11… guess I really needed the sleep. To say the least, its gonna be a good day. I am all rested up. No classes today (thank you vets day)… I think I need a much needed trip to the ocean… and I get to hang out with some pretty incredible people later. Doesn’t get much better. Its times like this where I really don’t have any problem being optimistic, where even the little things can make me smile. Not to get all Buddy The Elf on you guys, but smiling really is my favorite. It definitely doesn’t always come easy especially when all you want to do is be upset… But if you just suck it up and put a smile on your face not only does it make you feel better but its contagious. Its crazy I have experienced this effect first hand working at a restaurant. Honestly, people are so miserable sometimes… rude, not nice and you really don’t want to be nice back. But not only do I not have a choice but to be nice back, I want to be nice back! Just giving them a genuine smile goes SO far. Sometimes people really make a 180 degree turn after just smiling and asking how they are doing.
Ready for this super fact? Not only does smiling relieve stress, but it boosts your immune system! I mean come ON, if it is going to make you feel better and more healthy, then why the heck not!? It releases endorphins, even if its not a real smile I promise, it will make you happier and soon it will turn into a real one.
Do things in life that are going to make you happy. Surround yourself with people who are going to build you up, people who are going to make you happy and comfortable with being who you are. Instead of going out just cause everyone else is, stay in and call an old friend, watch a movie, get take out. Sometimes for me, it means just taking a few hours to be alone and go for a walk or watch a movie or just veg out. Life is ALWAYS going to give you something else to do, there’s always going to be something that needs to be done, homework, an errand, cleaning, etc. sometimes you just need to put that in the back of your mind for a bit and do something for yourself, when you do that, smiling during the harder times is going to be easier and easier. Be an optimist. Not always an easy thing to do, but in the long run it makes life so much better. Don’t fake it till you make it, find a reason to smile. Its worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment